Preview for the UPCOMING MBT Training Model & Implementation Online Course!
A Process for Creativity in Exercise Selection
The goal of the process is to match intent with strategy to create an exercise then coach the exercise with proper execution. An exercise is the loading of tissues for mechanical and physiological benefits. Positions are the shapes in which the body is placed to target specific muscles to move bones and to be able to target as much muscle mass as possible.
The process of exercise selection can be overwhelming without a process. Choosing exercises should have a purpose and we should explore our creativity based upon that purpose instead of choosing exercises and rationalizing them later. We tend to choose exercises based on certain loading abilities and associations instead of a specific intention.
- Am I starting with a exercise or the intent?
- Am I associating a exercise with a specific quality?
- Such as associating the back squat exercise with the quality of strength
- Starting with the intent will allow you not be married to specific exercises
The Exercise Creation Model has a three tier process to create an exercise. The first tier and foundation is position, second tier is fitness qualities, and the top tier is variations. This tier system was created to evaluate and analyze a thought process for exercise selection, ways to progress, and subtle strategy changes. There are many ways to progress, in which you can change position, change fitness quality, or add a variation.
The Exercise Creation Model will help you be more individualized with your clients/athletes, have a guide for exercise selection and program design, and explore various ways to strategize and execute an exercise.
The UPCOMING Training Model & Implementation Online Course will go into more detail and take you through strategies and execution for exercise selection, as well as training principles and model development.
But while we wait for that, here is the steps within each tier:
Base First Tier: Positions are used to target specific muscles to move boney structures. Positions include, but are not limited to:
- Tall Kneeling
- 1/2 Kneeling
- Front/Back Staggered
- Lateral Staggered
Middle Second Tier: Fitness Qualities
- Qualities: Strength, Power, Endurance, Hypertrophy, etc.
- Resistance (load): Strength, etc.
- Tempos (Eccentric, Isometric, Oscillations): Strength, Endurance
- Accommodating resistance (Bands, Chains): Speed, Power
- Velocity (intent to move with speed): Speed, Power
- Timed Durations/Length of set : Strength, Endurance, etc.
- Volume/Sets and Reps: Strength, Hypertrophy, etc.
Peak Third Tier: Variations
- Create an exercise variation build on position and fitness quality desired
- Create an exercise variation with additional components of progress such as static or dynamic execution, plane of motion, range of motion, RNT input, barriers and references, placement of loading, cues (focus of attention)
- This is the creation of strategy related to goal/intent, client, needs analysis, real time modifications, and progress
- Fulfill with execution
HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES:
Now you need to Execute!
That’s why Lucy Hendricks and I created a workshop that is 100% hands-on!
Have you ever attended a seminar where they picked you as an exercise demo? For 5 minutes, you get to feel what it’s like to be coached by the instructor. You get to respond to their verbal and manual cues, which allows you to feel what your clients will need to feel.
Out of all the other attendees who didn’t get coached, you’ll be more successful getting your clients to execute that exercise correctly.
This workshop allows you to be coached, demo, practice coaching, and walk through some troubleshooting with every single activity! Instead of 5 minutes of personal attention, you’ll have a whole day of movement and hands-on learning.
If you’re wanting your staff under one consistent model, this is the workshop for you and your employees. Learn to develop movement standards where everyone gets to develop their own training talent and skill following the same principles.
Going through our Consistent Training Model will allow you to manage multiple people in one session while keeping the coaching quality high. You will creatively increase your client’s movement repertoire by altering load placement and performance variables to drive adaptation in each plane of motion.
Location: Hype Gym, NYC
Date/Time: Sunday, September 29th 2019. 9:00am-4:30pm (lunch 12:00pm-1:00pm)
CLICK HERE for the event’s page.