(Recommended by Kyle Dobbs)
WHY: IT IS OKAY TO MAKE MONEY (without losing your integrity). Especially in the private sector of the fitness industry you need to be part salesman and get clients in the door. This involves skills such as being about to clearly convey your message and value. You will need business, marketing, and interpersonal skills. You may also require leadership skills if you are managing other trainers.
WHY: Creating a business requires leadership and culture development. This book will help you develop a tribe and establish loyalty, productivity, and innovation through organization culture.
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink $9.67
- Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t by Simon Sinek $11.55
- Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us by Seth Godin $15.90
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear $16.07
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie $9.60
WHY: This book should be your first read. Coaching is interacting with people and figuring out the fastest way to bond with them. Utilize each lesson/chapter material by applying these into your interactions with clients (and the other people in your life) then notice how they respond.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey $13.68
- The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday $16.40
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller & Jay Papasan $17.38
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio $20.40
- Skin in the Game: Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life by Nassim Nicholas Taleb $20.40
- Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World by Adam Grant $11.55
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike by Phil Knight $13.46
- The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell $11.05
- Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future by Peter Thiel $15.79
- Why do you hate money? A fitness marketing guide to create content that kills, craft copy that converts, and master the science of selling without selling out by Joey Percia $17.99
- Start with Why: How Great leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek $9.96
- Becoming an Effective and Efficient Leader by Kyle Dobbs
- How to Master the Skill of Listening by Zac Cupples
- How to Lock-Down Clients for Life and Earn a Ton of Money in Personal Training by Dr. Pat Davidson
- 13 Things You Need to Know About LLC Taxes
Skill Acquisition & Mentorship
WHY: Storybrand is a useful tool to help you clarify your message and grow your business. They have both private workshops, online courses, and seminars. The idea is to help you create stories to use as a narrative in organizing your business message.
WHY: SKILLSHARE is an online learning community for people who want to learn from educational videos. The courses, which are not accredited, are available through subscription, and the majority of courses focus on interaction rather than lecturing, with the primary goal of learning by completing a project. Courses include how to create engaging social media posts, writing effective marketing copy for your website, conversation skills, presentation skills, product design, how to build an audience, and effective start-up and growth strategies.
Websites & Social Media Resources/Mentors
- Kyle Dobbs @kyledobbs_
WHY: Kyle can become a valuable mentor with is knowledge and years of experience in the fitness industry. He shares his thoughts frequently on Facebook and Instagram.
- Pat Rigsby @patrigsby5