WHY: As coaches, trainers, and teachers we are asking people to move. We should have a very solid foundation in movement and biomechanics. The exercise techniques and cues we use are driven by our understanding of movement and biomechanics. Our exercise techniques and cues reflect our principles as a coach.
- Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists by Thomas Myers $81.48
- Movement System Impairment Syndromes of the Extremities, Cervical and Thoracic Spines by Shirley Sahrmann PT, PhD, FAPTA $90.12
- Atlas of Human Anatomy by Frank Netter MD $102.99
- The Pelvic Girdle: An Integration of Clinical Expertise and Research” by Diane Lee and Linda-Joy Lee. $98.58 (Recommended by Declan Morrissey)
WHY: “The first half of the book could replace any anatomy course on the pelvis. As well, Diane goes into how the entire pelvic girdle should operate during movements. The book has not only allowed me to look at movement screens in a much more efficient and thorough manner, but has changed why I do and do not use movements within exercise programs. Furthermore, it has allowed a differentiation in my priorities in certain clients; I am better able to pinpoint which muscles in which planes really need to work well for the client to move more efficiently and/or be in less pain. Diane also has these free online lectures, which are also excellent resources: https://learnwithdianelee.com/resources/.”- Declan Morrissey
- All Gain, No Pain: The over-40 Man’s Comeback Guide to Rebuild Your Body After Pain, Injury, or Physical Therapy by Bill Hartman FREE on Kindle Amazon
WHY: Bill Hartman is a god among men when it comes to movement and anatomy.
- Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness by Moshe Feldenkrais $13.20
WHY: The book provides information and exercises about renewing health through increased sensory awareness. Body awareness is a valuable tool for yourself and your clients. Body awareness can also be a way into the mind.
- The Brain’s Sense of Movement (Perspectives in Cognitive Neuroscience) by Alain Berthoz, Giselle Weiss $11.92
WHY: This book is also in the brain category as it will provide knowledge regarding both the brain and movement. The book describes how humans on earth perceive and control bodily movement.
- Recognizing & Treating Breathing Disorders by Leon Chaitow, Christopher Gilbert, & Dinah Bradley $54.64 (recommended by Justin Moore)
WHY: “As I write this, I’m only halfway through reading this book, and I can already say with confidence that this is an absolute must-read for any physical preparation practitioner. With the explosion in popularity of systems like PRI, breathing has become all the rage in recent years and for good reason. Breathing is a behavior that is intimately tied to every aspect of performance and wellness including but not limited to: Pressure management both inside and outside of the body, Management of the individual’s center of mass, Strength & power, Joint range of motion and movement options, Gait & motor control, Autonomic nervous system tone and, therefore, performance and recovery, Regulation of critical homeostatic variables like pH, Mental health and wellness (stress, anxiety, relaxation), Energy systems & capacity, and Digestion & sexual health…Breathing is truly the foundation of health and performance, impacting and being impacted by every system of the human organism body. As physical preparation practitioners, it is a critical that we have an intimate understanding of respiration, and this book delivers that.” – Justin Moore
- The Biomechanics of the Foot and Ankle by Dr. Robert A. Donatelli $32.33 (recommended by Bill Hartman)
WHY: Great resource for the foot and ankle complex.
Seminars, Online Courses & Education Subscriptions
- Postural Restoration Institute Courses (In person & online) $495-525
- *These courses will also provide knowledge on the brain, autonomics, behavior, and stress
- *Primary Courses should be your first priority
- Postural Restoration Institute Visual Integration Course
- Postural Restoration Institute Myokinematic Restoration Course (Primary Course)
- Postural Restoration Institute Postural Respiration Course (Primary Course)
- Postural Restoration Institute Impingement & Instability Course
- Postural Restoration Institute Pelvis Restoration Course (Primary Course)
- PRI Video for You (PRIVY) is a video subscription platform featuring presentations and videos from Ron Hruska and faculty. $37/month or $360/year
WHY: PRI has provided me with a different lens to look at movement and biomechanics. My understanding of anatomy and movement was flipped upside down from what I learned in the academic model and has made me a better coach.
WHY: Want to witness what a good coach is? Dr. Davidson is a game changer and always brings something new and thoughtful to the table. It is never boring, it is never recycled, and it is always thought provoking. Dr. Davidson presents a biomechanical model for training programs. He examines movement and categorizes individuals for maximum benefits and adaptations. He shows you how to do that same. My favorite and I think most valuable part of the seminar is listening to Dr. Davidson share his personal experience with clients and WATCHING HIM COACH. His seminar is one of the most encompassing and useful seminars I have attended. I cannot recommend it enough.
WHY: The Zac Cupples is an absolutely brilliant physical therapist and his knowledge of anatomy is unmatched. This event will be worth every penny. Cupples will show you how to assess and train for optimal results in health and performance.
- 4A Health Membership Courses: (5th course included in the 4A Health Club: Posture & Breathing) $19.99 / month or $199.00/ year with 7 day free trial
- Why We Must Reach By Justin Moore (Recommended by Lucy Hendricks)
WHY: “Most trainers (and clients) believe they need to row twice as many times and they press, which is a huge misconception that Justin does a great job at destroying.” – Lucy Hendricks
- Position Defined: Part 1 and Position Defined: Part 2 by Michelle Boland and Justin Moore
- Trunk Rotation NOT T-Spine Rotation by Justin Moore
- Movement Deep Dive 90/90 By Zac Cupples (Recommended by Lucy Hendricks)
WHY: “90/90 is a very popular breathing exercise that a lot of coaches struggle with. Here’s the complete guide to how to perform it and it’s rationale.” – Lucy Hendricks
- Movement Deep Dive Squatting Bar Reach By Zac Cupples (Recommended by Lucy Hendricks)
WHY: “Another popular activity that improves movement quality in your clients.” – Lucy Hendricks
- What Can Chimps Teach Us About Human Biomechanics by Pat Davidson
- Training Modifications Using the Infrasternal Angle by Lucy Hendricks April 16, 2018
- Respiration and Posture for Better Sprinting and Lifting with Zac Cupples
- Postural Restoration Institute Articles
- Historic Performance Podcast Episode #94 Mike Cantrell
- Physical Preparation with Mike Robertson April 13, 2018: Pat Davidson on Coaching, Cuing, and Creating Savages
- Just Fly Sports Performance Episode #88 March 6th, 2018: Pat Davidson “An educated approach to the Big Lifts and Primal Movement”
- The Ask Dr. Pat Davidson Show Episode 1 (Host Dave Rascoe) on YouTube
WHY: I believe that this exercise database directly connects all of the above knowledge about movement and biomechanics with training application. It utilizes the concepts from all of the above resources within each exercise. It includes over 190 exercises including full coaching tutorials and audio technique cueing for coaches.
Youtube Channels (all recommended by Lucy Hendricks)
WHY: Scroll through these channels and learn the cues these people use while doing an exercise
- Lance Goyke
- Lucy Hendricks
- Michelle Boland
- Zac Cupples
- Bill Hartman
- Enhancing Life
- Robertson Training Systems
- Adapt Performance and Rehab
- Parabolic Performance and Rehab
Websites & Social Media Resources/Mentors
- Lucy Hendrick’s Connecting Holistic Health and Fitness Free
- Zac Cupples, Zac Cupples Movement Debriefs – Youtube FREE, & Respiration Visited When You Sign Up For Newsletter
- Bill Hartman Q & As – Youtube FREE
WHY: “In a series of Youtube Q & As, Bill Hartman answers questions from other incredibly smart PTs and physical preparation coaches around the country. If you aren’t watching these hour-long Q & As, you are severely missing out on a window into the mind of one of the greats in our industry.” – Justin Moore
- Dr. Pat Davidson @dr.patdavidson
WHY: No one is changing the fitness industry game more right now then Dr. Pat Davidson. Your world is about to catch on fire. Visit his site, find him on facebook here and here. He posts great content frequently on facebook.
- Michael Mullin @mjmatc
WHY: Mike not only is the nicest person you will ever meet, he is amazing at his craft. Check out his website: Integrative Rehab Training.
- Resilient Performance Physical Therapy @resilientppt
WHY: Dr. Doug Kechijian, Dr. Greg Spatz, and Dr. Trevor Rappa are excellent sources for performance and rehabilitation content. Check out their site: Resilient Performance Physical Therapy
- Lucy Hendricks @lucy_hendricks
WHY: There are ONLY TWO females on this list (the other one made this ha), that’s insane. Lucy is establishing herself as someone who is creating a paradigm shift in the fitness industry. She recently created a website to share information between practitioners and fields. She provides an enormous amount of free, high quality content. Check out her site: Holistic Fitness Connector
- Bill Hartman/IFAST @billhartman_net
WHY: You need to follow him, go to seminars with him, subscribe to his email list, everything. Check out his site: Bill Hartman
- Colby Mamigonian @comamperformance
WHY: Colby is becoming a game changer and provides content very focused on movement/biomechanics in performance based training.
- Adapt Performance & Rehab – @adaptperformanceandrehab
WHY: “Owned by Cody Plofker and Physical Therapist Dr. Payal Patel, Adapt Performance & Rehab is a young facility that integrates elite level fitness and physical preparation training with rehabilitation. Through their social media Cody and Payal share exercise demonstrations, techniques, common exercise mistakes, PRI activities, alternatives to replace common exercise that may have a low return on investment, progressions/regressions for common movement patterns, as well as their athletes and clients getting after it. This is a must-follow account if you’re interested in seeing PT/performance integration at the highest level.” – Justin Moore
Dr. Payal Patel and Cody Plofker created an excellent facility connecting rehab and performance. They also provide great content. Check out their site: Adapt Performance and Rehab.
- Zac Cupples @zaccupples
WHY: Dr. Zac Cupples is a brilliant Physical Therapist who provides an unbelievable amount of free content relating to both rehab and performance. Check out his site: Zac Cupples