Michelle Boland, PhD, CSCS
I initially pursued an educational path with the intention of becoming a Registered Dietitian, but after a few clinical experiences I doubted my decision. I reflected on my life passion of sports performance training and decided to pursue a higher education degree in strength and conditioning.
I was lucky enough to have met the right mentors that motivated me and pushed me to expand the way I think. I continued in an academic setting to learn more about the science and physiology related to performance. I also continued to gain experience as a strength coach at a private facility in Western Massachusetts while completing my PhD.
I was a Strength and Conditioning Coach at Northeastern University (Division I) in Boston, MA from 2015-2018. I was responsible for the design and implementation of strength and conditioning programs for three varsity teams; Women’s Ice Hockey, Field Hockey, & Women’s Rowing.
I currently am the Director of Education at Pure Performance Training in Needham, Massachusetts.
I am driven by a desire to learn. The goal of this site is to blog short notes/thoughts relating to exercise technique, lifestyle, nutrition, science, and/or performance training for the continued education of both myself and others. I will also be posting longer articles to explore topics in depth that I am passionate about. Services include consulting and online programming.
PhD. Springfield College, Exercise Physiology, Department of Exercise Science and Sport Studies, Springfield College, MA
M.S. Springfield College, Strength and Conditioning, Department of Exercise Science and Sport Studies, Springfield College, MA
B.S. Keene State College, Nutrition, Department of Health Science, Keene, NH
Dark Side Strength: Recovery Video: What does recover look like? By Lucy Hendricks
Academic and Research Awards
National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) Women’s Scholarship Recipient, 2012 and 2014
National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
Research & Peer Reviewed Publications:
Matthews, T.D., O’Neill, E., Kostelis, K.T., Jaffe, D., Vitti, S., Quinlan, M., Boland, M. (2014). Physical activity and self-efficacy in physical activity and healthy eating in an urban elementary setting. American Journal of Health Education.
Boland, M., Delude, K., & Miele, E. (2017). Relationship between physiological off-ice testing and on-ice skating performance in division I women’s ice hockey players. Accepted, Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research.
Boland, M., Headley, S., Mullin, E., Miele, E., Ayvazian, L., O’Neill, E…Wood, R. The effects of ket0-adaptation on the arterial stiffness response to resistance exercise.
Boland, M., Winter, C., Thompson, B, A., & O’Neill, E. (2016). The effects of unilateral and bilateral lower resistance training and plyometrics on soccer performance variables.
- Intensive II, Bill Hartman, September 2018
- Human Matrix, Zac Cupples, September 2018
- Cells to Performance: Train, Adapt Evolve Seminar, August 2018
- NSCA National Conference, July 2018
- NSCA Vermont State Clinic, June 2018
- Postural Restoration Institute Impingement & Instability Course, June 2018
- Functional Medicine Retreat & Dr. Ben House’s Beginner’s Mind Mentorship March 2018
- Rethinking the Big Patterns Seminar, February 2018
- The Reckoning Seminar, Ranfone Training Systems, November 2017
- Postural Restoration Institute Visual Integration, October 2017
- Postural Restoration Institute Pelvis Restoration Course, July 2017
- Postural Restoration Institute Myokinematic Restoration Course, June 2017
- Functional Medicine Retreat by Dr. Ben House, April 2017
- Dr. Ben House Blood Chemistry Course, March 2017
- Postural Restoration Institute Myokinematic Restoration Course, August 2016
- Dan Baker, PhD, High Powered Performance Tour, July 2016
- Donna Behr, PT, MS, DPT, PRC, Cervical Revolution Presentation, July 2016
- Michael Roncarati, PT, DPT, CSCS, Atlanta Hawks Physical Therapist Presentation, July 2016
- Postural Restoration Institute Postural Respiration Course, June 2016
- Northeastern University Sports Performance Summit, June 2016
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) Conference, July 2015
- NSCA Massachusetts State Clinic, April 2014
- New England American College of Sports Medicine (NEACSM) Conference, 2013 & 2014
- Boston Sports Medicine Conference, Summer 2012