WHY: If you want to create relationships, bond with, and motivate your clients/athletes you should understand human behavior. Again, your success as a coach is more related to how you interact with others than your program design.
- The Body Keeps The Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk $14.40
WHY: This body directly links the mind and body. This book will help you understand how trauma is a fact of life and when you interact with others this is a valuable thing to know. The book also explores how we have a ‘sense of self’ or how many people can be lacking that due to a lack of self-awareness through physical sensation. A relationship with the body and experiencing physical sensations can be a large part of exercise.
- The Feeling of What Happens: body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness by Antonio Damasio $9.31
- A General Theory of Love by Thomas Lewis ad Fari Amini (recommended by Kyle Dobbs)$14.06
WHY: This book explores bonding and oxytocin as the hormone for connection.
WHY: WARNING this book is very advanced. This is basically a textbook of human and primate behavior.
- The Open and Closed Mind: Investigations into the Nature of Belief Systems and Personality Systems by Milton Rokeach $15.95
WHY: The book explores the creation, utility and drawbacks of belief systems and underlying personality structure. The book helps you understand yourself, others, culture and our behaviors.
- Waking Up Episode #91 Biology of Good and Evil with Dr. Robert Sapolsky
- Joe Rogan Experience Episode # 968 Dr. Kelly Brogan
- Joe Rogan Experience Episode #1070 Jordan Peterson
- Joe Rogan Experience Episode #975 Sebastian Junger
Audiobooks/Lecture Series (All recommended by Justin Moore)
- Secrets of Sleep Science: From Dreams To Disorders On The Great Courses Lecture Series by Craig H. Heller $29.95 On Audible
WHY: “We spend approximately one-third of our lives unconscious, offline, unaware of our surroundings, and incapable of responding to threat or moving the needle towards reproduction… We also know that there is nothing more important for recovery and adaptation to stress than sleep. The problem is, we still don’t truly understand why we and so many other organisms on this planet must sleep. “Secrets of Sleep Science” is a deep dive into the fascinating science behind sleep, covering topics such as, but not limited to: The Stages of Sleep, Dreams, Sleep Disorders (Apnea, Insomnia, Sleep, Walking, etc), The Physiology of Sleep, Memory-Enhancing Benefits of Sleep, Skill-Acquisition & Motor Learning Benefits of Sleep, The Genetic Mechanisms of Sleep, The Shockingly-Drastic Cost of Sleep Loss, Strategies For Improving Your Sleep & The Sleep of Your Clients.” – Justin Moore
- Being Human: Life Lessons From The Frontiers Of Science On The Great Courses Lecture Series by Robert Sapolsky $9.95 On Audible
WHY: “…In this particular lecture series Sapolsky, a neuroscientist, behavioral biologist, and professor at Stanford University, guides us through an exploration of how we differentiate ourselves from other primates, as well as how in some situations, we are just like any other animal. He explores human behavior from numerous angles, and helps us to better understand why we do what we do.” – Justin Moore
- Biology and Human Behavior: The Neurological Origins Of Individualization On The Great Courses Lecture Series by Robert Sapolsky $9.95 On Audible
WHY: “Another fantastic lecture series from Sapolsky, this resource works off the question—when are we responsible for our own actions, and when are we in the grip of biology that is beyond our cortical, conscious control?…Understanding just how many variables both within our control and out of our control affect our behavioral outputs gave me an entirely new lens through which to view my clients and athletes, my fellow coaches and PTs, my family, and my own tendencies and behaviors. This awareness made me a better coach, better communicator, better stress-manager, and better person. Highly recommended to any human.” – Justin Moore